Hopefully these links and info shed some light on the process in 2019 so far…
(All links open in a new tab).
- 12th Feb 2019 Meeting with PV and representatives from the VCC / climbing community. The meeting was ‘essentially an ambush’; with little chance to respond to issues, instead it was PV informing the climbing community of closures to several undisclosed climbing sites in the Victoria Range.
- 15th Feb 2019 Parks release media statement
- 20th Feb 2019 Cliffcare releases What is Happening statement.
- 27th Feb 2019 Parks release maps & statement banning climbing in all Special Protection Areas
- 1st March 2019 – Cliffcare releases Grampians Access Working Group (GAWG) New Map Statement (worth reading)
- 2 March 2019 – Climbers report Parks Victoria rangers at Red Rocks crag informing climbers that it is closed to climbing. In a separate incident rangers told campers at Buandik that all crags in the SPA’s are now banned.
- 6 March 2019 – Climbers report Parks Victoria rangers at Hollow Mountain area told them that climbing had been banned “since last Wednesday” at Summerday Valley and Hollow Mountain areas. There were conflicting accounts about if commercial groups could still use the area.