Following on from our previous article, a broader article appeared in The Australian on the weekend (subscribers only). The article by John Ferguson covers a lot more than climbing – as now hiking and swimming are in the firing line – and that’s plenty for regular folk to get upset about… and didn’t they just (see twitter, R).Continue reading Nanny-State Rules coming soon to YOU
Category Archives: Radio
Sign of the Times – Protection Rules Relaxed for Profit?
- Latest about Taipan from GWRN
- New PV sign says tour operators can climb in Victoria Range SPAs
- The Roses Gap Recreation Centre mystery
- Minister’s letter confirms expiry of Interim Protection Declaration at Arapiles
- Aboriginal Victoria denies Special Protection Areas are associated with Aboriginal Heritage Act or Regulations
- Draft Grampians Landscape Management Plan “hoped to be out for public comment by the end of this year”
- Graffiti rampant in Grampians according to PV
- Roundtable 5 announced – then delayed?
Big News Day – Climbers in the Public Eye
It has been a huge 24 hours for Grampians climbing ban news with several mainstream media sources publishing stories in print, online, radio and even national TV. It certainly wasn’t all positive puff pieces for rock-climbing – but we did get a chance to air some of our views and attempt to refute some of the wilder claims made by Parks Victoria – including their continued insistence on the 10x growth figures that we have proved false on this blog previously. We have seen zero evidence of their claims of 80,000 climbers a year in the Grampians (a crazy 220 people a day!) and their entirely false claim of a 3x expansion of new routes in the Grampians since 2003 (that figure is more like 20%, not 300%).Continue reading Big News Day – Climbers in the Public Eye
Radio – Simon Talbot from PV
‘There’s no excuse’: Parks Victoria explains Grampians climbing ban.
Monday 18th Feb 2019
‘On Breakfast’ with Steve Martin talking with Parks Victoria chief operating officer Simon Talbot
There is also another interview a few days earlier:
3AW Interview with Simon Talbot, COO from Parks Victoria (15/2/19)
3AW Interview with Climbers
Short Interview with concerned climbers on 3AW (15/2/19)