- Half of Grampians climbing routes are now closed
- Tiger Wall, Castle Crag, Fang Buttress and Black Ians Rocks latest areas to close to all visitors
- Greater Gariwerd Landscape Management Plan draft has been completed
- Parks Victoria confirms SPA & no climbing rule near Roses Gap Recreation Centre
- Parks Victoria forced to reprint signage after admitting errors
We are going to just start with an update on statistics so everyone is on the same page when it comes to understanding the extent of the current climbing closures in the Grampians and Arapiles region. We have included this weeks Arapiles and Black Ians Rocks closure announcements.
Continue reading 4500+ Climbs Closed – 38% Gramps and Arapiles Now off-Limits
- Arapiles’ Brain Death Boulder (Dyurrite 1) Interim Protection Declaration expires without renewal
- FOI docs reveal archeological work is never put out to tender
- Castle Crag & Mitre Rock potentially on the chopping block
The following is a quick look at the timelines and discrepancies associated with the closure of the Dyurrite 1 site – known to climbers as the Brain Death Boulder at Arapiles.
Continue reading Arapiles Protection Declaration Expires
Many people woke this morning to the dramatic news on the radio that Arapiles was now closed. Thanks ABC for giving us all a pre-coffee heart attack! Lucky it was just media hype. But what really happened is newsworthy all the same.
Continue reading Declaration Protection – It’s Official
• We get an expert geologist’s opinion of the Sandinista white streaks (spoiler alert – #notclimbers)
Continue reading Expert Advice – Chalk or Nature?
• PV closes Camp Sandy – because of flood damage?
• and then proceeds to go on a chainsaw choppy frenzy at Andersen’s & Sandinista.
Could Parks Victoria mistake natural white rock & bird poo for climbing chalk in their rush to ban climbing? Yes they could. What you are about to read is one of those big moments where the ineptitude of the PV’s assessment process of rock climbing areas is exposed for what it is. A flawed and amateur attempt to quite literally white-wash climbers in the worst possible light whilst shirking any responsibility. Think the “bolt in art” fiasco was bad? This is better.
Continue reading The Sandinista Scandal – White Lies from PV